Thursday, November 1, 2007

5.6!

Well after being in California for 15 months (has it really been that long already??) Mike and I experienced our first (and second) earthquakes this week.

We were just starting to watch the "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" and at first I thought someone had slammed a door in our building. I soon realized it wasn't a door and the whole building was moving. We both realized at the same time what was going on and jumped up to stand in the doorway. The floor felt like it was rolling and it lasted for about 13 seconds. Fortunately there was no damage or injuries. One of my co-workers who lives much closer to the epicenter said all of the cans fell out of her cupboards and all of her dresser drawers came open. I think I would have been much more freaked out if that had happened here.

We had a 3.7 aftershock which didn't last quite as long but was just as nerve jangling.

So now we're waiting - the sizmologists say there is a 10% chance that a larger one will hit within a week. I've secured as much as I can in the apartment so now we just have to sit and wait.

Mike's boss gave him a lecture about not having a survival kit together. Apparently a crowbar is the tool of choice to have in your kit. If the building shifts, the doors will probably get wedged and then you can't get out. All the other normal survival stuff is supposed to be in there too: water, battery operated radio, can opener etc.

So we're going shopping for a crowbar this weekend.

2 comments:

expatmom (Colleen H.) said...

I am so out of the loop. I don't read the newspaper and rarely catch the news on TV. The only radio I listen to are kids CDs...so needless to say, I didn't even know there had been an earthquake! Thanks for filling me in! :)

Unknown said...

I think it sounds interesting and am crossing my fingers that there'll be another next time we visit. Yes, I am serious but I'm glad this one wasn't too bad.